Marketing and Communications Specialist
Vice President, Marketing and Communications
This is an exciting opportunity for a strategic, results-oriented, and collaborative marketing and communications professional to play a pivotal role in building awareness, starting conversations about Crohn’s and colitis, and increasing engagement to advance our fundraising and mission goals.
Purpose of Position
Reporting to the VP, Marketing and Communications, this full-time position provides leadership to the planning, development and implementation of marketing and communications activities for Crohn’s and Colitis Canada. This position will work closely with a senior peer group within the organization as the communications partner on a number of strategic initiatives, and will act as an ambassador to the organization in building relationships with the media and other stakeholders.
The successful candidate will advance our mission with key stakeholders to drive awareness, engagement, and donor support. Working within an environment that requires the ability to navigate from strategic thinking to hands-on implementation, the Marketing and Communications Specialist is an inspired storyteller, who can process complex information and translate it into a variety of compelling and impactful patient and donor-centric communication pieces.
- Develop highly effective patient-centric communications materials:
- Refine Crohn’s and Colitis Canada brand voice, and play a key role in developing key messages that encourage understanding of these diseases and support patients;
- Evolve internal and external collateral, including brochures and website content, to meet the needs of Canadians affected by Crohn’s or colitis throughout their lifecycle with these chronic diseases;
- Recommend marketing strategies to effectively target and engage those affected (directly or indirectly) by Crohn’s or colitis
- Work with those affected by the diseases, to develop and share compelling and inspirational stories
- Manage the development and delivery of Talk About GUTS e-newsletter;
- Provide copywriting and content feedback on external communications to ensure quality and patient centricity;
- Develop donor communications that engage stakeholders to support our mission:
- Work closely with the Development team and Corporate Specialist to create compelling sponsorship and partnership proposals and stewardship materials;
- Work in close collaboration with the Development team to create targeted communications for prospective and existing donors, including: cases for support and online content;
- Play a central role in the development of key messages to guide donor communications;
- Understand the donor communications cycle to make marketing and communications recommendations that build and deepen donor relationships.
- Manage media relations process and provide backup resource/expertise to critical Marketing and Communications functions:
- Coordinate public relations activity and cultivate relationships with the media and our spokespeople
- Organize media relations activities and interviews
- Host online social media events from as necessary
- Provide backup resource for social media, graphic design and web content
- Provide marketing support to evolve communication tools to support staff and volunteers, including training webinars, templates, and style guides
- Minimum 3 years of marketing and communications experience, ideally in an influencing role responsible for both “in-house” delivery of activities and external agency/vendor involvement
- University degree or college diploma in marketing, advertising, communications or equivalent combination of experience and education
- Exceptional writing and editing skills with the ability to streamline and standardize communications written by a variety of contributors
- Knowledge of Adobe Creative Suite, content management systems (preferably Kentico and Raisin), HTML, social media platforms and tools (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, LinkedIn, Hootsuite), and email marketing services (preferably Constant Contact)
- Ability to navigate from strategic thinking and long-term planning to execution
- Ability to work collaboratively
- Proven ability to build internal and external relationships
- Innovative thinking with the ability to lead in new directions
- Solid understanding of brand strategy and marketing
- Expertise in digital marketing, including social media, website design and content, and ecommunications
- Experienced in managing media/public relations activities and cultivating media relationships
- Knowledge of graphic design and print production
- Experience in evaluating marketing and communications activities
- Ability to manage external agencies to deliver results
- Exceptional attention to detail and project management skills
- Experience in a non-profit environment is an asset
- Bilingualism (English and French) is a definitive asset
- Work out of Crohn’s and Colitis Canada’s National Office in Toronto
- Periodic travel as required
- Additional hours on evenings and weekends may be required
Crohn’s and Colitis Canada provides a competitive compensation package and a rewarding work environment. Interested applicants are asked to submit their resume and cover letter indicating salary expectations to email@example.com
by February 8, 2019. Please quote "MARCOM Specialist" in the subject heading in your email reply
. We thank all applicants for their interest to work at Crohn’s and Colitis Canada; however, only those selected for interview will be contacted.
About Crohn’s and Colitis Canada
Crohn’s and Colitis Canada is a volunteer-based charity dedicated to finding the cures for Crohn’s disease and ulcerative colitis and to improving the lives of children and adults affected by these chronic diseases. As Canada’s leading non-governmental funder of Crohn’s and colitis research, we have invested over $122M to date in research, education, advocacy and awareness.